- 19 Jul 2022
- 4 Minutes To Read
Set Up and Configure Instagram Messaging
- Updated On 19 Jul 2022
- 4 Minutes To Read
|REQUIRED USER ROLE|
Set up Instagram Messaging Instagram messages and Stories into Conversations.
Before you start
Review the following information before you set up Instagram:
- Think about which Inbox to route messages to. You can create a new Inbox for Instagram Messaging or direct them to an existing Inbox.
- Set up Business Hours to trigger auto-replies based on your operating hours.
- Think about Topics Customers might ask through Instagram and use them to apply to Instagram Conversations.
- Note that an Agent "liking" a message (nor auto-replies triggered via Rules or Business Hours) are not considered a reply and will not satisfy the Conversation SLA.
- Voice/SMS – Phone numbers can be purchased and held onto until you're ready to complete the setup by connecting them as Entry Points.
- Chat (Sidekick) – Upon configuring Sidekick, it's available to receive incoming chat requests as soon as it's embedded on your website. Chats are routed to the chat Channel's primary Inbox.
- Social Channels – Upon adding a social Channel Entry Point (e.g., Twitter, Instagram, or WhatsApp), messages automatically route to the social Channel's primary Inbox.
- Email – Once an email address is added, it's ready to receive inbound emails in the email Channels' primary Inbox as long as email forwarding is activated.
Use Exceptions to link an Entry Point to a different Inbox if you don't want to use the Channel's primary Inbox.
Facebook enforced guidance to keep in mind
- Rate Limit on Messages – Facebook imposes a rate limit of 200 messages per 5 minutes per account.
- Paid Campaigns – Due to the imposed rate limit by Facebook, it's not recommended to run organic paid campaigns to drive engagement and messaging through Instagram.
Below are limitations that Instagram is currently imposing for all partners using the Instagram API:
- Reactions sent from the Instagram App will not appear in the Conversation Timeline in Gladly.
- All reactions are always mapped to . This is currently a limitation of the Facebook API.
Configure Instagram in Facebook Business Suite
Before adding Instagram to Gladly, you must first set up and configure your Instagram business account. Follow the instructions in the links below.
- See Set Up a Business Account on Instagram to learn how to set up a business account.
- Next, add your Instagram business account to your Facebook business page.
- Allow access to your Instagram Messages. Log into your Instagram business account through the mobile app. From the Profile view, tap the menu icon on the top right corner of the screen, then tap Settings > Privacy > Messages. From the Message Controls screen, under Connected Tools, toggle "Allow Access to Messages" so it's activated. This allows you to receive Instagram messages in Gladly from your Instagram business account.
Once your business account is connected to a Facebook business page and you allow access to all messages through the Instagram app, continue to add Instagram to Gladly.
Add Instagram Messaging
- Click the menu icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Click Settings.
- Under the Channels category, click Instagram Messaging. The Instagram Messaging page will show you a list of Instagram accounts configured in Gladly. It also includes the following details:
- Page Name – Name of the Instagram account as shown on Facebook pages.
- Username – The username associated with the Instagram Messaging account.
- Facebook Page ID – The Facebook Page ID associated with the account.
- Added By – Name of the person who added the account in Gladly.
- Added On – Date and time the account was added in Gladly.
- Click Manage Instagram Messaging to add a new account.
- From the Facebook login page, enter the Facebook business credentials (email/phone, password), then click Log In. This is the Facebook business account your Instagram business account is linked to.
- If it detects you're already logged in, click Edit Settings, taking you to step 6.
- It'll ask which Instagram business account to use with Gladly. Click the checkbox next to the Instagram business account you want to connect to Gladly, then click Next.
- It'll ask which Pages you want to connect to Gladly. Click the checkbox next to the business page where you connected your Instagram account.
- Note – If you also use Facebook Messenger, DO NOT uncheck the prechecked box on this screen, as this will unlink your Facebook Messenger account.
- Make sure all the toggles are showing Yes on the Permissions page, then click Done.
- In the Add Instagram Business Pages confirmation screen, click the box next to the Instagram account you're linking to Gladly. Click Connect, then OK.
- At this point, the Instagram account is added as a new Entry Point. Next, go to the Entry Points settings page to link Instagram to an Inbox.
- Select the primary Inbox you want Instagram messages to go. Add an exception if you have other Instagram accounts you want to link to a different Inbox.
- Click Save.
- Instagram is added to your messaging Channel. Agents assigned to the Inbox used for Instagram will receive new Instagram Messaging requests whenever they're available in the messaging Channel.
See Respond to Messages from Instagram to learn how to help Customers through Instagram Messaging.
Check your firewall
Story @mentions or messages are served directly from Facebook and may not appear in Gladly if your firewall blocks Facebook. To avoid this, we recommend allowing traffic from fbcdn.net in your firewall.