- 05 Sep 2022
- 2 Minutes To Read
Sidekick Configuration Tips
- Updated On 05 Sep 2022
- 2 Minutes To Read
- You can set the look and feel of your Sidekick to conform to brand guidelines and preview it in the Sidekick Admin UI.
- Sidekick automatically sets text colors that are ADA compliant.
- We recommend configuring Sidekick to display on the bottom right-hand side of your site using the chat icon.
- We recommend using the default Gladly minimized icon. Still, if you'd like greater control over this design, you can code a custom button on your website to call the Gladly Sidekick API.
Sidekick is primarily designed to give you control over how Sidekick looks and how it behaves. Below is a short suggestion list on how to configure certain parts of Sidekick. Use the illustrations on the configuration page to help you visualize what you're configuring.
- Chat is hidden on days marked as "closed." Mark non-support days if you have any.
- Sidekick Self-Service content will remain available after-hours but without the option to chat.
Minimized Chat Icon
- Use the icon option. If you choose text, keep the text short.
- Greeting messages are pre-populated with a recommended text.
- If Onboarding is enabled and you are asking for a Customer's email to start chat, we recommend that your message contains wording that the Customer's email will not be used for any other purposes except to find their profile/account.
Office Hours & Throttle Message (HTML or Plain Text)
This is the text displayed when Customers click on the chat icon outside of your normal business hours or if chat is unavailable/throttled. It can be configured using plain text or HTML.
To create a structure for the displayed text, you should use HTML.
The HTML for the text above will look like the code below. This is what you would enter in the text field:
<h3>👋 We are here to help. </h3> <p> We make it easy for you to contact us on whichever channel you prefer! Just like if you were talking to a friend. </p> <p style="font-weight: bold !important">Quickest Ways to Reach Us</p> <p><a href="sms://+15555551234">Send us a text message</a></p> <p><a href="mailto:email@example.com">Shoot us an email</a></p> <hr /> <p>Phone Hours 9AM - 6PM EST</p> <a href="tel:123-456-7890">Call Us</a>
Use a tool like HTML Code Editor to test and preview your code.
If you decide to use plain text, just enter the text in the field. Sidekick will display the message in plain text.
- Configure Proactive Chat on pages that generate the most customer questions (e.g., product comparison page)
- Open chat proactively within 30 seconds to keep your Customer engaged.
- Proactive Chat will open Sidekick on mobile and desktop.
Set up and configure a custom icon for Proactive Chat using the information below:
SSO for consumer portal
By API, you can have Sidekick recognize if a Customer has already been authenticated in your consumer portal. If they start a chat, they won't be asked for their name or email address.